Traveling with young children can be very challenging. When I lived in Hawaii, and had to travel with a young child, I found the following tips to be most helpful:
- Prepare your child for the trip by “setting the tone” for what he/she can expect. (Older children can actually be part of the planning process.)
- Prior to the trip, purchase a few “new items” packed in a special bag, which will keep your child occupied. (Ex. new books, playing cards, writing/coloring tools, toys & healthy snacks)
- Hand these items out in sequence and not all at once.
- Plan your trip, if at all possible, early in the morning when there is less traffic or later in the evening when the child can sleep.
- If traveling by car, stop at designated areas to allow for stretching and restroom breaks.
- Try to relax by filling “your space” with positive thoughts and releasing encouraging words. (Children can detect your nervousness or anxiety.)
- Remember, time flies when you are having fun!
- Use this quality time together to build memories that will last a life time!