Children believe it or not like boundaries, rules, and organization. It makes them feel in control, and helps reduce stress for everyone involved. Once family rules and boundaries are established, children can enjoy a healthy range of activities.
Parents can keep these parenting tips in mind:
- Homework must always be a priority. It should be done as early as possible to allow for downtime in the evening.
- Participation in sports or any out of school activity should come from the child. The child should be eager to participate and not because parents feel pressured to do so.
- A master calendar is a must and should be visible for daily viewing and continual interaction.
- Family members must clearly understand their expectations regarding school, work, activities, and free time.
- Downtime is a must for everyone. It is a wonderful time for families to share a common interest, provide and express support and encouragement to each other.
- Reading is a great engaging activity that families can do together. A set time is devoted to “D.E.A.R” (Drop Everything And Read). Most children already know this acronym, but it works!
And finally, a harmonious balance can be achieved when all family
members are working together as a team, with nothing out of proportion or
unduly emphasized at the expense of the rest.